March 10, 2011

advocating WriteOnCon

This is where I get up on my soap-box and tell you that you're an idiot if you don't participate in WriteOnCon later this year.


What is WriteOnCon? you ask. Well, it's an interactive online writer's conference held annually during the summer. The conference is designed to give attendees the features of a live writer's conference, but in an online environment using blogging, vlogging, chats, and streaming video. They keep transcripts of every event should you miss out. They also have forums where writers can gather and share their queries and first pages for critique. Oh, and did I mention it's FREE?


Yes, a free conference, on your computer. Now why in the world wouldn't you join up?

I attended WriteOnCon last August, and it was a godsend. I helped others hone their first pages and query letters, and in turn I received excellent feedback on mine. Not only that, but I got to chat with top agents like Natalie Fischer of Bradford Literary Agency, Mark McVeigh of The McVeigh Agency,  and Steven Malk of Writer's House. Just take a look at the lists of agents and authors that spoke at WriteOnCon last year, and you'll see why it's so awesome. I entered a query contest and from that alone, I received an invitation to submit to that particular agent. An agent liked my query and invited me to send it to her. That's as good as a request, people!

WriteOnCon is a great place to connect with other writers. I made many friends last year at WriteOnCon. It's a great place of positive attitudes and endless encouragement. It's especially nice for those of us who can't afford to go to big conferences.

WriteOnCon 2011 will be from Tuesday, August 16 -- Thursday, August 18. You can still see the events from last year as well! So sign up and prepare for awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to polish up on some of my stuff and continue to crank out new stuff. I love that they save transcripts, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete